'Pearl Harbor' Moving Forward?

Posted on Jan 25, 2000

Got this The Insider at Cinescape:

The last the Insider heard there were negative rumblings about the fate of Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer’s Pearl Harbor project. Things appear to have changed for the better, though there may have been some compromising as well.

First, according to Variety columnist Michael Fleming, in order for Disney to give a final okay for the project, Bruckheimer and Bay had to cut the budget of their blockbuster down from the previously announced $145M. The figure is said to now be sitting in the $130M range. Still, even though this tightens things for everyone, it has allowed the team to move forward with potential casting of the film pending the greenlight from Disney.

The columnist repeats recent rumors suggesting that the most prominent actors Michael Bay is eying to take on the film’s two male lead roles are currently Wes Bentley (American Beauty) and Jim Caviezel (The Thin Red Line). In addition, Charlize Theron (Cider House Rules), as opposed to Gwyneth Paltrow, is now the name being tossed around for the female lead. Other names currently floating through the rumor mill for the film’s leads include Ed Burns, Keri Russell and Scott Speedman. No matter who takes the parts, early word from Bay and Bruckheimer suggested that those actors might have to work for scale to keep the budget down, though one would imagine that there would also be a back end deal as well.

Beyond the casting, Bruckheimer is said to have sought out government assistance for the impending film. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the producer met with Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen and Secretary of the Navy Richard J. Danzig to gain the aid of the government in the making of the film. Word has it that both have pledged their support to the project.